King's Own Royal Regiment Museum


Museum & Collections
Contact Us

17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

Further Reading


Photo Gallery

First World War

1st/5th Battalion, King's Own in Lancaster, 1914

The Colours of the 5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment being taken to Lancaster Parish Church, 5th August 1914.
Accession Number: KO1812/01

The 'Gallant 200' as named by the 'Lancaster Observer' - the volunteers who joined the 5th Battalion in September 1914 - and formed the 'Pals Company'.  Seen on parade on about  4th September at Giant Axe Field, Lancaster.  Before uniform was issued the volunteers wore, on their shoulders, small blue and orange silk ribbons to represent the colours of the King's Own.  After basic training in Lancaster and Morecambe the volunteers headed off to Didcot and joined the rest of the battalion to continue their training.
Accession Number KO1091/10, KO1091/14 and KO2806/02

Morecambe Pals on Parade, September 1914
Accession Number KO2046/33

'The Pals' after attending Church Service in Lancaster on Sunday 6th September 1914.
Accession Number: KO1091/13, KO1203/02 & KO1225/01


Detail of KO1203/02

Shoulder knot, 5th Battalion volunteers, September 1914.
Accession Number KO0814/01  Photographed with 10 pence piece for scale.

Two young soldiers of the 5th Battalion, Private Harold Hayward is standing.  The photograph was probably taken in 1914.  Private Hayward is known to have worked in the  cookhouse, and appears to have survived the war.
Accession Number KO2139/04

Two young soldiers of the 5th Battalion in 1914, Private Matthew Farrell is standing on the right, Number 1440 Private Matthew Farrell went across to France on 14th February 1915 with the rest of the 1st/5th, he was killed in action on 14th April 1915 at the age of 16 years.  He worked at Storey Brothers and lived at Little John Street, Lancaster. 
Accession Number KO1217/04

When mobilised in August 1914 the 5th Battalion used the  redundant Wagon Works on Caton Road, Lancaster, as a temporary base from 12th August 1914 until they moved south to Didcot two days later.
Accession Number: KO0715/17 and KO1217/03

Group of soldiers of the 5th Battalion, King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment photographed inside the former Lancaster Carriage and Wagon Works on Caton Road, Lancaster, on around 13th August 1914.
Accession Number: KO3074/88

Interior view of the former Wagon Works used as billets by the 5th Battalion.
Accession Number: KO2160/37-30

Private Harold Gordon Cooper of the 1st/5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, photographed in August 1914 in the Wagon Works, Caton Road, Lancaster, used as temporary accommodation for the newly mobilised battalion.
Accession Number: KO2412/05

The 5th Battalion leaves the temporary billets on Caton Road, Lancaster,
to march up to Lancaster Castle Station where it entrained for Didcot on 14th August, 1914.
Accession Number: KO2160/37-27

Detail of KO2160/37-27

5th Battalion, King's Own marching along Caton Road, Lancaster.
Accession Number: KO1775/02 and KO1898/36

The 5th Battalion leaves the temporary billets on Caton Road to march up to Castle Station where it entrained for Didcot on 14th August, 1914.  Whilst this image is a still 'postcard' photograph the troops passing this point feature in a short movie film which is now available from the museum shop.
Accession Number KO2490/419

Morecambe Pals (of the 5th Battalion, King's Own) photographed in Buchanan Street, Blackpool, December 1914.
Accession Number KO2046/26

After the 5th Battalion left the Wagon Works it was used as Prisoner of War Detention Barracks.

This postcard of the Prisoner of War Detention Barracks, Wagon Works, Caton Road, Lancaster, was posted to Colour Sergeant F A Haigh, number 837, of 'D' Company, 5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment at Didcot, Berkshire.  It is postmarked 14th October 1914.  By 1916 the site became a munitions works, although a plan suggests that The National Projectile Factory, Caton Road Lancaster used only land between the wagon works and the canal.
Accession Number: LM82.46/60

Senior Non-Commissioned Officers and Officers who were guarding the Prisoner of War Camp, Wagon Works, Caton Road, Lancaster.
Most of the soldiers are of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, there is a Captain in the centre, with a Lieutenant on either side.  The Lieutenant Smith of the King's Regiment is on the left of the Captain.
The rear of the postcard, which was posted on 10th June 1915, reads: "POW Camp, Lancaster 10/6/1915.
Dear John, These are a section of the NCO's of the old Guard, also two of my brother officers.  Thought you would perhaps like to have one.  With kind regards to you Father & auntie also yourself and sister.  Yours sincerely, E Smith, Lieutenant."   The card is addressed to Master John Carter, 123 Bedford Road, Birkdale.
Lieutenant E Smith was an officer with the 5th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment, and his name is also carved on a bone in the museum's collection.
Accession Number: KO2917/49

Selective enlargements of the above photograph.  Colour Sergeant and the three officers.
Accession Number: KO2917/49

© Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication to any of our images.

© 2012 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum