King's Own Royal Regiment Museum


Museum & Collections
Contact Us

17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

Further Reading


Regimental History

The Regimental Chapel of the King's Own Royal Regiment

The Regimental Chapel in the Priory Church, Lancaster, was built as a memorial to those who had died on active service in South Africa during 1900-1902 in the ‘Boer War’.

See also Photo Gallery - Regimental Chapel

The foundation stone was laid on 7th August 1903 by Constance, Countess of Derby, and the Chapel was dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester on 29th July 1904.  A Memorial Brass to those who had fallen during the Boer War and a stained-glass window in memory of Lieutenant Colonel Gawne, killed at Vryheid in December 1900, were unveiled by Field Marshal Lord Roberts VC on the same day.

The Chapel, the first of its kind in England, was designed by the Lancaster Architects, Austin and Paley.  Part of the original north wall of the nave of the Priory Church was moved outwards, the wall being connected to the body of the Church by an apse at the east end and by a west wall.  Four arches and oak screens separate the chapel from the nave.

Old Colours of the Regiment and the Royal Lancashire Militia hanging in the chapel represent the largest single collection of Regimental Colours under the one roof anywhere in the world.

Memorial plaques are mounted on the walls and smaller brass plaques, in memory of former officers of the Regiment and the Regiment’s VC winners, are fastened to the ends of the oak pews and panelling.  The fixtures, furniture and pews in the chapel have all been presented from time to time in memory of former soldiers and officers, the most recent addition being that of pew cushions following an appeal in 2003.

On the left of the Chapel a memorial to HM King Edward VII records the fact that he was Colonel in Chief from 17th March 1903 until his death on 6th May 1910.

Near the altar on the right is a bronze casket containing the Rolls of Honour for the First and Second World Wars.  This memorial is dedicated to 20 year old 2nd Lieutenant Christopher John Hodgson who was killed in action on 22nd May 1941 at Falluja in Iraq.

2nd Lieutenant Christopher John Hodgson, killed in action on 22nd May 1914 and remembered in the Regimental Chapel.
Accession Number: KO1017/092

It was the duty of a soldier from the Regimental Depot and later from the Territorial Army Battalion to turn the page of the Roll every Sunday.  This duty is now performed on the first Sunday of each month by a member of the Regimental Association.

A recent bequest of £159,000 has been made to the Regimental Chapel in memory of Lance Corporal Charles Curran.

See also Photo Gallery - Regimental Chapel

Collections: Record of the War Memorial

Collections: Archive of the Regimental Chapel


© 2017 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum