King's Own Royal Regiment Museum
Museum & Collections
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
The SS Saturnia was built by Charles Connell & Company at Scotstoun and launched on 29th March 1910. It was owned by Donaldson Line when it was taken over by the War Office. It was this ship on board which the 1st Battalion of the King's Own sailed to France on the night of 22nd/23rd August. The Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel A M Dykes, wrote his last letter home to his wife on the ships notepaper.
The Saturnia was sold for scrapping on 20th January 1929 and was broken up at Trieste, Italy.
Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time. Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions. An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.
© 2011 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum