King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

Lancaster

HOME
Museum & Collections
Sales
Donations
Events
Contact Us

REGIMENTAL HISTORY
17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

FAMILY HISTORY
Resources
Further Reading

PHOTO GALLERY
ENQUIRIES
FURTHER READING
LINKS

Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication of any of our images.


Photo Gallery

Caton Road - Standfast and Barracks in 2014

In January 2014 the Curator was given a guided tour of the former Lancaster Carriage and Wagon Works site, which had been used by the 5th Battalion, King's Own in August 1914, and since 1924 has been used by Standfast.  Grateful thanks to the Managing Director of Standfast and Barracks for permitted access and providing the detailed guided tour of the site.


Interior view of the former Wagon Works used as billets by the 5th Battalion in August 1914.
Accession Number: KO2160/37-30


Standfast Mills, Second World War Memorial.


Interior of building the exterior of which is directly onto Caton Road.


Interior of building, showing the chimney breasts, no sign of these can be seen from the outside now, the chimneys long since being removed. With exterior view of the base of the clock tower and the chimneys, photographed prior to October 1914.  Accession Number: LM82.46/60


Alterations to the doorway, it's reduction in height, are evident here and in many other parts of the building.  Clearly the large clearances for carriages and wagons is no longer required.


Alterations to the doorway, it's reduction in height, are evident here and in many other parts of the building.  Clearly the large clearances for carriages and wagons is no longer required.


In the roof space over head pulleys can still be seen, these are sure to date from the Wagon works when they would have provided the power for machinery on the factory floor.


This is the brick built base of the tall chimney, reduced in height in May 1974.  The chimney on the extreme right of the photograph is the one of which the base remains.  It was photographed on the 14th August 1914 when the 5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment marched along Caton Road to Lancaster Castle Station.  Accession Number: KO1775/02 and KO1898/36


View of buildings at the Lancaster end of the site, showing much adaptation and alteration over the years.


The water tower, the green iron support is dated 1863, although the brick built building and water tower are clearly later additions.


Whilst most of the windows have been bricked, or stoned, up this window survives and is probably original to the Wagon Works.


This wall will look out to the River Lune.


View of offices.


View of offices.


View of the Clock Tower from the interior of the works.  With exterior view of the base of the clock tower, photographed prior to October 1914.  Accession Number: LM82.46/60


 


View of offices.


Entrance to offices.


Stairs to first floor of office building.


Tiled floor in office building.


View looking towards Lancaster.


View of offices


 


 


 


 


View of offices.


Fabric printing - that's the business of Standfast and Barracks in Lancaster.


Looking towards Lancaster.  Bricked up archways can clearly be seen.


Note the bricked up archway.


Note the bricked up archway.


One of the bricked up archways which lead to a building at the edge of the site which is now out of use.


View of Caton Road and the works looking towards Lancaster.


View from across Caton Road.


View from across Caton Road.


 

Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication of any of our images.

Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time.  Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions.  An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.

2014 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum