King's Own Royal Regiment Museum
Museum & Collections
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment:
The Territorial Force 1908 - 1914
In 1905 the newly appointed Secretary of State for War, Richard Haldane, set about reforming the Army. In 1908 the Territorial Reserve Forces Act re-organised the Volunteer Forces creating the ‘Territorial Force’ - the forerunner of today's Territorial Army. The objective of the Territorial Force was that it would be ready to serve within 6 months of mobilisation.
Two battalions were created containing the Volunteers of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, namely the 4th and 5th Battalions. Both were part of the North Lancashire Infantry Brigade within the West Lancashire Division.
Battalion, The King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment
Photographs of the 4th Battalion between 1909 and
1914 can be seen in the Photo Gallery.
Photographs of the 5th Battalion between 1908 and 1914 can be seen in the Photo Gallery.
Territorial Force (4th and 5th Battalions) Annual Camps:
First World War
In August 1914 both the 4th and 5th Battalions were mobilised. They were initially employed on home defence, including guarding the docks at Barrow in Furness and, later, lines of communication in the South of England. In mid-February 1915 the 5th Battalion left England for the Western Front, to be joined in May by the 4th Battalion. Both Battalions were able to raise additional battalions during the war - the battalions were designated thus: 1st/4th Battalion; 2nd/4th Battalion; 1st/5th Battalion; 2nd/5th Battalion; 3rd/5th Battalion. Only the 1st/4th, 1st/5th and 2nd/5th served overseas - but men from other battalions, having completed their training, were drafted to serve with other units.
© 2010 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum