Portraits from the King's Own Collection
Museum contains many portraits of those who have
served in the regiment. This special exhibition highlights a selection of
the painted portraits.
Royal Regiment Museum is always on the look out for similar items to add
to our collection. The museum’s archive also includes many photographic
portraits of soldiers and officers.
Colonel Sir Robert Rich (1714-1785), around 1756. Oil painting by
Arthur Devis, 1712-1787.
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Rich commanded the Regiment at the Battle of
Culloden, in the absence of Colonel Barrell. The Regiment suffered very
heavy casualties. Sir Robert lost his left hand - notice the empty
fur-lined sleeve - and his right arm was almost severed above the elbow.
He commissioned the successful Preston artist Arthur Devis to paint his
portrait. After Rich’s death in 1785 the painting was left to Mr Duncan,
the Regimental chaplain who had saved his life. The painting was later
returned to the Rich family. Notice the elaborate 18th century frame
decorated with war trophies.
KO 0566/01 Gift of Lady Rich.
General James Wolfe, Barrell’s Regiment. Wax miniature.
As a boy of 14 he was commissioned into the Marines. In 1744 he joined
the King’s Own or ‘Barrell’s Regiment’ as it was then known as a Captain,
purchasing his commission from Captain Delabene. Wolfe was appointed
Deputy Quarter Master General to General Wade at Newcastle. He remained
serving on the ‘Staff’ and was Aide-de-Camp to General Hawley at the
Battle of Culloden, April 1746. At the age of 33 he was appointed
Commander-in-Chief of the expedition against the French at Quebec,
Canada. The campaign was successful but Wolfe was mortally wounded and
died there on 13th September 1759.
KO0750/27 Gift of Mrs Bois.
Lieutenant Colonel George Walsh of the 4th Foot. Oil painting
attributed to Thomas Frye.
Walsh joined the Army as an Ensign in 1720 and joined the King’s Own as a
Captain in May 1720. He was promoted Major in 1736. After a period with
the 9th Regiment of Marines he returned to the Regiment as Lieutenant
Colonel in August 1749 and left in 1754 to become Colonel of the 49th
Foot. He died in 1761 with the rank of Lieutenant General and is buried
in the East Cloister of Westminster Abbey.
Portraits from the King's Own collection page
© Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
You must seek permission prior to
publication to any of our images.