King's Own Royal Regiment Museum
Museum & Collections
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Introduction and History
The King's Own Royal Regiment Museum was opened in 1929, based within Lancaster City Museum. The original collections were formed from historic items kept by the various battalions of the Regiment. Some dating back to the very early days of the Regiment in the late 17th Century. The items were brought together under one roof, and the museum was rapidly expanded. In the 1930s a sizeable collection of exhibits, archives, books and photographs was built up.
During the Second World War the museum was closed and the collections based in store, while the building, the former Lancaster Town Hall, was used by the Canadian Treasury. From the 1950s the museum continued to expand its collections, until the 1980s when even more rapid growth took place.
Building upon this the museum was completely refurbished in 1996-97 with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and other partners. The project, costing over £120,000 was opened by HRH Princess Alexandra, Colonel in Chief, King's Own Royal Border Regiment in December 1997.
The lower floor of the gallery tells the history of the Regiment alongside the history of the British Army from 1660s to the 1960s. The newly installed Mezzanine floor is used for temporary exhibitions along with a permanent display including five Victoria Crosses.
The busy Museum also houses archives, books and photographs relating to the Regiment and is a valuable source to the military researcher and family historian.
The Regimental Museum is located within the City Museum, Market Square, Lancaster. The Museum is open Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays from 10am to 5pm and admission is free. The museum is closed between Christmas and New Year. Telephone 01524 64637 for more details.
© 2016 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum