King's Own Royal Regiment Museum


Museum & Collections
Contact Us

17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

Further Reading



Territorial Efficiency Medal 1922 to 1930

The uniformed bust of George V partly surrounded by the legend: “GEORGIVS V BRITT: OMN: REX ET IND: IMP:”

Plain, except for the inscription “TERRITORIAL EFFICIENCY MEDAL” with a small embellishment beneath.

The medal is oval in shape, approximately 32mm wide and 38 mm long, excluding the suspender.  The medal and bar are of silver.

Approximately 32mm wide.  Dark green with yellow edges, each approximately 4mm wide.  Those awarded the medal in the Honourable Artillery Company wore it suspended by a ribbon half dark blue and half cerise with yellow edges - the cerise being worn  nearest to the left shoulder.

A fixed ring suspender approximately 15 mm in diameter is attached to the medal disc by a riveted claw fitting

Impressed on the edge with the recipients number, rank, initials, surname and unit in block capitals.

A fairly plain bar with a crown in the centre.  Men already in possession of a Territorial Efficiency Medal were awarded a bar to their medal on completion of each further period of service for which they would normally have qualified for the award of the T E M .  The bar has four holes near the corners to enable it to be sewn on to the ribbon of the medal.

This medal, instituted in 1922, superseded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal after the formation of the Territorial Army on 1st October 1921.  It was awarded to Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and men of the Territorial Army who completed twelve years continuous service in the ranks with at least twelve trainings, and recommendation from their Commanding Officer.  Prior service in the Territorial Force was allowed to count provided that the conditions of continuity of service between disembodiment and re-enlistment following the end of World War One were satisfied.  There were a number of other variations in the qualifications for the award, some of which were very complicated.  The following were, perhaps, the most important of these:- 1. Men serving in the Territorial Force on 4th August 1914, and being embodied under the Royal Proclamation of that date, who agreed to serve overseas before 11th November 1918 were allowed to count their embodied service double towards qualifying service for the TEM.  2. Men who served in the ranks of the Territorial Force and were commissioned during the period of their embodied service were allowed to count their commissioned service as qualifying service for the award of the TEM provided that they reenlisted in the ranks of the Territorial Force before 1st January 1922.  3.  Men whose continuity of service was broken due to having been discharged from the Territorial Force after 4th August 1914 due to wounds or sickness arising from their embodied service, and who subsequently re-enlisted voluntarily during the period of embodiment following recovery, were allowed to count their embodied service as having been continuous.  The Territorial Efficiency Medal was superseded by the Efficiency Medal (Territorial) in 1930.

The King’s Own
Two Battalions of the King’s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) formed part of the Territorial Army: the 4th Battalion, which had its Headquarters at Ulverston Drill Hall and served an area between Barrow, Millom, Hawkshead and Grange-over-Sands; and the 5th Battalion with it’s headquarters at Phoenix Street Drill Hall in Lancaster and serving an area between Fleetwood and Carnforth.  All were part-time soldiers who attended local weekly training and annual camp away from home, for Battalion training.  Both battalions had expanded during World War One; the 4th to two battalions, the 1/4th which went to France in May 1915, and the 2/4th which was a training unit; the 5th Battalion expanded to three battalions, the 1/5th which went to France in February 1915, the 2/5th which went to France in February 1917 and the 3/5th which was a training unit.  A fair number of these men qualified for the T E M some with clasps.  The naming on their medals shows their unit as ‘KING’S OWN R’.



© 2005 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum