War Memorial Village,
The Mayor of Lancaster, Alderman Briggs, presents the key to the
padlock (foreground) at the opening of the War Memorial Village,
Westfield, Lancaster, to Field Marshal Earl Haig. General Sir
Archibald Hunter is to the left and Lord Derby is in the centre.
27th November 1924.
Accession Number KO0392/13
The opening the War Memorial Village, Westfield, 27th November
1924. The village was opened by Field Marshal Haig.
Accession Number KO1464/01
The unveiling of the War Memorial at Westfield by General Sir
Archibald Hunter, Colonel of the King's Own Royal Regiment, Lancaster, on
4th August 1926. Around the memorial left to right is Colonel G
Wilson (secretary of the Trust), Mayor of Lancaster, Alderman Briggs,
General Sir Archibald Hunter and Mr H L Storey. The village was the
design of Thomas Mawson, the landscape gardener whose own son had served
with the 1st/5th King's Own and killed in 1915. The land on which
the village is built was the estate of Sir Thomas Storey and was given by
his family through his son, Herbert L Storey of Bailrigg, Lancaster.
The memorial designed by Miss Delahunt at the Storey Institute, Lancaster,
depicts a soldier giving his wounded comrade a drink, and is dedicated to
all ranks of the King's Own Royal Regiment, the Lancaster Artillery
Battery and all other Lancastrians who had served during the war.
Accession Number KO0392/12
Westfield War Memorial Village, part view of 'Le Cateau' cottage and
part of the bowling green, with soldiers lining the routes and crowds
looking toward the arrival of Earl Haig, on the occasion of the opening
of the Village on 27th November 1924.
Accession Number: KO3046/58