King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

Lancaster

HOME
Museum & Collections
Sales
Donations
Events
Contact Us

REGIMENTAL HISTORY
17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

FAMILY HISTORY
Resources
Further Reading

PHOTO GALLERY
ENQUIRIES
FURTHER READING
LINKS


Photo Gallery

The National Service Years 1945-59

Hong Kong 1954-1956

Accommodation


A Barrack Room of 'C' Company, decorated for Christmas, Lo Wu Camp, Hong Kong, 1954.
Accession Number: KO0883/134 and KO1667/12


A Barrack Room, before conversion into the Regimental Chapel, Hong Kong, 1956.
Accession Number: KO0883/119


Regimental Chapel, Hong Kong, 1956.  Converted from a Barrack Room.
From 'The Lion and The Rose', May 1956:
"A Regimental chapel is always a great asset to a Battalion, and some months ago it was decided that, somehow, a building must be found, set apart and furnished as a chapel.
Fortunately a building on a commanding site in the camp at Dills Corner, which is roughly equidistant between the two other Regimental Camps at Beas Stables and Lo Wu, became available and capable of being altered and furnished as a chapel worthy of the Regiment.
The Regimental carpenters 'set to' with a will, and under the direction of Sergeant Smithson produced a priest's desk and chair, a credence table, a lectern, altar rails, pew fronts and font.
By the time these items of furniture were completed, the men of Support Company had painted the doors and window frames of the selected building and erected a very workmanlike spire.
It was found impossible to pierce the blank east end wall of the church and so produce typical east end windows, so three illuminated artificial stained glass windows took their place.  One of these had already been painted by Captain Welsh, whilst with the Regiment in Korea, and another Regimental officer, Lieutenant K Wollaston, produced the other two.
It may be of interest to note that the Coptic altar cross was obtained by the Commanding Officer from the Priory at Lancaster and has been a Regimental possession since the time of the Abyssinian War."
Accession Number: KO0883/099


'Stained glass window', St. George's Church, Teal Bridge Camp, Korea, painted by Captain Welsh, and later used in the Regimental Chapel in Hong Kong.
Accession Number: KO2334/12


Beas Stables Camp, Hong Kong, 1954-56.  Home of the 1st Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment.  A photograph taken from the air by CSM Blundell, Headquarter Company.  Beas Stable Camp was the home of Battalion Headquarters, HQ Company, 'A' and 'D' Companies.  The remainder of the battalion was based at Lo Wu.
Accession Number: KO0883/128


'D' Company's lines at Beas Stables, Hong Kong.
Accession Number: KO0883/046


Beas Stables, Hong Kong.
Accession Number: KO2783/09


Headquarter Company's Lines, Hong Kong, 1955-56.
Accession Number: KO2225/06


Taites Cairn Training Camp on Kowloon Peak, 1st Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment, 1955.
Accession Number: KO0883/083


Support Company Lines, Kowloon, New Territories, Hong Kong, 1954.
Accession Number: KO2092/14


Support Company Lines, Kowloon, New Territories, Hong Kong, 1954.
Accession Number: KO2092/15


Lok Ma Chau Police Station, Hong Kong, 1955.
Accession Number: KO0883/113

Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication to any of our images.

Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time.  Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions.  An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.

2012 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum