King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

Lancaster

HOME
Museum & Collections
Sales
Donations
Events
Contact Us

REGIMENTAL HISTORY
17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

FAMILY HISTORY
Resources
Further Reading

PHOTO GALLERY
ENQUIRIES
FURTHER READING
LINKS


Regimental History

The Colours of the Regiment

Royal Lancashire Militia

Colours 1761

Royal Lancashire Militia. Presented by HM King George III on 15th October 1761. Carried in Ireland 1798/99. Hung in Colonel Stanley’s London home until October 1916, when they were sent to Captain-Adjutant Wilkinson, Rose Cottage, Lancaster, for laying up in Lancaster Priory Church. Since then all trace has been lost.

Colours 1801

Royal Lancashire Militia. Passed to Lieutenant Colonel John Plumbe-Tempest and hung at his house, Tong Hall near Bradford. Only a portion of each colour remained. Whereabouts unknown.

Colours 1806

1st Royal Lancashire Militia. Presented by HM Queen Charlotte at Weymouth on 23rd June 1806. Passed to Lieutenant Colonel John Plumbe-Tempest who hung them at Tong hall, near Bradford. Restored to the Regiment by his great-grand-daughter on laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 18th September 1932.

Colours 1816

1st Royal Lancashire Militia. Presented by the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at Phoenix Park, Dublin. Given to Colonel John Plumbe-Tempest and hung at Tong Hall, Bradford. Restored to the Regiment (by Mrs Tempest) and laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 18th September 1932.

Colours 1853

1st Royal Lancashire Militia (Duke of Lancaster’s Own). Presented by Mrs Clifton, wife of the Commanding Officer, at Giant Axe Field, Lancaster, 16th June 1853. Presented to Colonel Clifton in 1870 and hung at Lytham Hall. Regimental Colour given to the Regimental Museum by Guardian Estates, Lytham Hall, in 1972.

Colours 1870

1st Royal Lancashire Militia. Presented by Mrs Clifton at Lancaster on 27th June 1870. Carried by the 1st Battalion when 1st Royal Lancashire Militia formed a 2nd Battalion in 1877 and later by the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, King’s Own. Laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 15th July 1905.

Colours 1880

2nd Battalion, 1st Royal Lancashire Militia. Presented by Lady Constance Stanley at Lancaster on 21st July 1880. Carried by 4th (Militia) Battalion, King’s Own and laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 15th July 1905.

Colours 1905

3rd (Militia) Battalion, King’s Own. Presented by HM King Edward VII at Knowsley on 14th July 1905. Remained in use at the Regimental Depot until 1959. Laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 3rd September 1961.

Colours 1905

4th (Militia) Battalion, King’s Own. Presented by HM King Edward VII at Knowsley on 14th July 1905. Deposited in Lancaster Town Hall when the Battalion was disbanded in 1908. Laid up in the Regimental Chapel on 24th October 1928.

Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time.  Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions.  An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.

© 2012 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum