The Great War Centenary - 1917
From Front Line to White Lund
Lancaster & District's Industrial Contribution to the
Peace Celebrations, July 1919
From the Local Press, July 1919.
Industrial tableaux depicting some of the work Lancaster accomplished
during the war were full of interest.
The National Projectile Factory was represented by two gaily
decorated cars, the first bearing a lathe, at which a number of girls
were busily employed turning 6 inch shells, of which the factory turned
out some millions during the war. The second car displayed some of the
varied products of the factory. There were shells of various sizes,
bombs of many kinds, grenades, and other death-dealing materials for the
manufacture of which the factory was established five years ago.
From the National Filing Factory came another display of bombs
and shells. There were “flying ‘pigs,” a 12 inch trench mortar
projectile weighing 8 cwt, and many kinds of aircraft bombs, one of the
latter, for dropping from aeroplanes, weighing 5 cwt, standing 5ft high
and measuring 48 inches in circumference. These bombs are fitted with
fins for steadying purposes.
The Lune Valley Engineering Co. were represented by a
chastely-draped car, bearing one of the military field cookers, of which
they have made 400 for the various Governments during the war. The
cooker, exhibited in full work, can cook sufficient food for 350 men at
one time, and the food may be stewed, boiled, baked or fried. It is
interesting to know that these cookers have been used in Gallipoli,
Egypt, Mesopotamia, India and France.
Waring and Gillow Ltd
…..and decoration of several of the cars in the procession, were
represented by two cars, the first illustrating aircraft work. The
exhibits include wings, aelrons, propellers, struts and cross pieces,
the whole being surmounted by a scale model, measuring 12ft, of a
fighting ‘plane. In this department the firm, it is interesting to note,
have been responsible for the output of 9,036 aeroplane wings, 79,937
propellers, centres, aelrons, tails, struts, engine beddings, and
fusilage, 430,787 tables, ammunition boxes, bedsteads, forms, poles,
tables, instrument cases, etc. The second car was equipped with four
power sewing machine, the roof being constructed of aeroplane spars, and
the framework of cross pieces. This car depicted other branches of their
war work, including the manufacture of mule ammunition carriers,
nosebags, machine gun cartridge belts, water buckets, pom-pom cartridge
belts, Lewis gun ammunition carriers, kit bags, valises, 9 in and 15 in
gun breechcovers, waterproof gun cotton bags, bolsters, rifle slings,
mosquito head covers and tents, serge tunics and knickers for Indian
troops, ordinary tents, instrument cases, gas mask haversacks, rifle
bolt covers, one-man tents, munition workers’ caps, horse water buckets,
operating cloaks, beds, haversacks, packs, jacket shell carriers,
ammunition cuirasses, horse rugs, marquees, and housewifes. Of this
varied assortment of articles the firm were responsible for a total
output of 338,755.
On the car of Messrs. William Goodacre and Sons Ltd., Albion
Mills, was a mat-weaving loom and samples of warship deck, gunlayer,
shrapnel splinter, field gun protector, hospital ship, filling factory,
screening, camouflage work, horse transport, and Red Cross mats, which
have been turned out from this manufactory. A “DORA” tableau which
imported a little comedy to the show, represented a women, clothed in
black and closely veiled, surrounded by commodities which have been
“controlled” during the last few years.
The general assembly for the finale in the Giant Axe Field was somewhat
delayed by the shell car from the National Filling Factory breaking
through the gravelled surface at the entrance and getting stuck just
inside the gates. This necessitated a long detour to another entrance
for a number of cars, but eventually the processionists and vehicles
were massed in front of the grandstand with the “Britannia” and
“Lancastria” cars in the centre. There were several thousand people
present, and the scene was an imposing and inspiring one. “Rule
Britannia” four verses of the hymn “O God our help in ages past,” and
the National Anthem were sung with fervour and enthusiasm, and cheers
were given for the King and Queen, the Mayor and Mayoress and the
© Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
You must seek permission prior to
publication of any of our images.
Only a proportion of our collections
are on display at anyone time. Certain items are on loan for display
in other institutions. An appointment is required to consult any of
our collections which are held in store.