King's Own Royal Regiment Museum
Museum & Collections
Soldiers of the Regiment
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Regimental History - 20th Century
151st Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps
The 151st Regiment Royal Armoured Corps was established from the old 10th Battalion of the King's Own Royal Regiment, Lancaster. The unit was formed on 1st January 1942 and its first training took place in Northumberland and Yorkshire, before it moved to Kent. In October 1942 whilst returning from its first regimental exercise, the column was attacked by enemy aircraft outside Canterbury and one man was killed and another wounded. On 25th July 1943 a Divisional Church Parade took place in Canterbury Cathedral, the salute being taken by the Commander in Chief, Second Army. In November 1943 the Regiment was visited by General Neil Ritchie who was commanding XII Corps. The year ended with the unit practising waterproofing vehicles. When on the 31st December 1943 the 107th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps (The King's Own) was disbanded - personnel were transferred to the 151st, who on 1st January 1944 took on their title as well. The Regiment, although Royal Armoured Corps, was cap badged 'King's Own'.
1st January 1942 151st Regiment established
3rd August 1942 the 151st Regiment moved to Westgate on Sea, until 3rd November 1942 when they moved to Worthing for just under two months returning to Westgate on Sea on 22nd December 1942.
From January 1943 the 151st Regiment was based at Westgate on Sea, going to Gorsley and Lydd for training in May 1943. In June 1943 the Regiment moved to Canterbury, before moving to South-West Scotland on 27th June 1943 to undertaking training on the ranges at Kirkudbright. By 6th July 1943 they were back in Canterbury and in August 1943 were in Gorsley. From 22nd August 1943 they were located at Otterden Place, from 11th September 1943 at Broome Park, and then back to Gorsley again from 13th September 1943. On 14th October 1943 the Regiment was at Warcop Ranges and returned south to Folkestone on 15th October 1943, where they remained until the end of the year, when the 151st Regiment was re-designated to the 107th Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps (The King's Own).
1st January 1944 151st Regiment becomes 107th Regiment
Photographs of the 107th and 151st Regiments can be found in the Photo Gallery.
Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time. Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions. An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.
© 2011 - 2019 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum