King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

Lancaster

HOME
Museum & Collections
Sales
Donations
Events
Contact Us

REGIMENTAL HISTORY
17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

FAMILY HISTORY
Resources
Further Reading

PHOTO GALLERY
ENQUIRIES
FURTHER READING
LINKS

Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication of any of our images.


Soldiers of the Regiment

Captain Frank Miller Bingham

Captain Frank Miller Bingham, of the 1st/5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, was a medical doctor in Lancaster and despite his training and a high demand for doctors in the Royal Army Medical Corps he served with the King's Own as an infantry officer.  Captain Bingham arrived in France along with the rest of the battalion on 14th February 1915, he was shot my a sniper on 22nd May 1915 having just returned to the front line from a period of leave in England.

         
Grave of Captain Frank Miller Bingham, of the 1st/5th Battalion, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.  Dr. Bingham was a medical doctor in Lancaster and despite his training and a high demand for doctors in the Royal Army Medical Corps he served with the King's Own as an infantry officer.  Captain Bingham arrived in France along with the rest of the battalion on 14th February 1915, he was killed in action on 22nd May 1915 having just returned to the front line from a period of leave in England.  He was buried in Sanctuary Wood, his grave marked with a wooden cross and the plot fenced off.  As the war ravaged the area the grave was lost and Captain F M Bingham is now recorded on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. 
Frank Bingham was aged 40 when he died, the son of Dr and Mrs Bingham of Alfreton, Derbyshire, husband of Ruth Morley Bingham of Highfield House, Lancaster.
Accession Number: KO0592/02 and KO0592/03


There is a memorial to Captain Bingham in the Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Lancaster, located in the corridor of the entrance to the old part of the hospital.  The memorial was dedicated in December 1915.

 

Images are copyright, Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum.
 You must seek permission prior to publication of any of our images.

Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time.  Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions.  An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.

2013 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum